#2 Barry O'Reilly: Unlearning and creating culture change
Click here to directly email Andrew your questions, comments, and feedback! He reads everything that is sent in: https://tinyurl.com/ydda8zc6
- Barry moving to America and the "American Dream" [0:06:11]
- Experimentation as a lifestyle -- the kitchen table talk [0:13:14]
- Navigating uncertainty [0:15:09]
- Modeling behaviors [0:22:25]
- Barry's hack to get new perspectives on problems you don't know how to solve [0:24:12]
- Stumbling blocks in unlearning [0:26:36]
- Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and "time to think" [0:31:07]
- Barry's personal reflection practices [0:33:11]
- "We're trained for more" [0:35:19]
- How do I know I need to unlearn? [0:45:27]
- Hotseat: Barry puts Andrew through unlearning exercise on the spot [0:48:11]
- Andrew's embarrassing insight [0:54:50]
- The #1 obstacle to being a learner [1:00:04]
- "Steve always got it right" [1:02:24]
- How to make being wrong, feel good [1:04:09]
- Debunking the 10,000 hour rule [1:07:49]
- The levels of deliberate practice [1:08:24]
- Applying deliberate practice to day-to-day life [1:15:12]
- Building systems & countermeasures around yourself to be successful [1:18:42]
- The origin of the Enliven podcast [1:22:44]
- How to start a cultural transformation [1:26:37]
- Barry's #1 hack for meetings [1:33:01]
People, companies, books, etc mentioned
- Books & Podcasts
- "If something important comes up, I'll put it on my calendar. But I'm going to make time for thinking."
- making two or three bets and exploring them well is better than making one hundred bets and half-assing them"
- "I've been right a million times...and it's bought me jack shit."
- "Innovation is new insight that leads to better action"
- "we're building these systems that are so example that we don't even know how they work"
- "in all our meetings we just talk about output, the things we got done...if we're going to be agile we have to talk about outcomes"
- "organizational transformation is just the collective impact of individual transformation"
Lessons and key takeaways
- how eager am I to get information that is contrary to my view?
- the essentials to unlearning: curiosity, ownership
- reflection is a habit of top performers
- signs you need to unlearn
- challenge facing and not living up to expectation
- place you're struggling or avoiding a challenge
- tried everything can think of and not getting results you want
- What's the real outcome you're aiming for?
- when frustrated with the obstacles, zoom back out to the outcomes in order to discover new things to try
- we often know what to do...but we can't execute shared things on our own
- Andy Grove and Steve Jobs "getting it right"
- create and cultivate a personal board of directors to re-energize and gain new perspectives
- always have agency for how we show up in a system—so it starts with us—and each of us has a