Ease yourself through the holiday preparations with this gentle episode all about rest, including a host of ideas for taking care of yourself as winter moves in. With inspiration from Liza Dalby (@lizadalby), Jilly Shipway, Shiva Rea (@shivarea108), Lucy Brazier (@brazier.lucy), Claudia Hammond (@claudie_hammond_), Gareth Owen, Katherine May (@katherinemay_) and Sonoko Sakai (@sonokosakai).
Featured in this episode:
- East Wind Melts the Ice by Liza Dalby (Chatto & Windus)
- Tending the Heart Fire by Shiva Rea (Sounds True)
- Yoga Through the Year by Jilly Shipway (Llewelyn)
- River Cottage Christmas by Lucy Brazier (Bloomsbury)
- The Art of Rest by Claudia Hammond (Canongate)
- Wabi Sabi: Japanese wisdom for a perfectly imperfect life by Beth Kempton (Piatkus)
- Winter Days by Gareth Owen in The Oxford Book of Christmas Poems edited by Michael Harrison (Oxford University Press)
- Wintering by Katherine May
- Japanese Home Cooking by Sonoko Sakai (Shambala)
- Calm Christmas and a Happy New Year: A Little Book of Festive Joy by Beth Kempton (Piatkus)
Jennifer Piercy’s Melatonin Magic yoga nidra meditation is here on Insight Timer.
You can download a FREE copy of The Perfectly Imperfect 2022 Digital Planner here, to help you reflect on the year and look ahead to 2022.
Ingredients for the featured recipe (makes 4 servings)
• 3.5 cups or 830ml dashi stock - there are wonderful recipes for making your own dashi in the book, but you can also buy it as stock from places like the Japan Centre.
• 3 tablespoons of white or red miso
• 2 oz (57g) mushrooms of your choice, stems removed and sliced 1/4 inch or 6mm thick
• 4oz (113g) soft or medium-firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch (6mm) dice
• 1 teaspoon yuzu or lemon peel, pith removed
You can buy dashi stock from Japanese supermarkets and stores such as japancentre.com.
To be in with a chance of winning a signed copy Wintering by Katherine May and a signed copy of my book Calm Christmas, head over to Instagram @bethkempton. The deadline for entries is 4pm UK time on Friday December 17, 2021.