Adam Ayrton Stoner \ How to become a climate activist
Understand the problem
- Watch Climate 101 with Bill Nye
- Watch Al Gore's 2006 documentary An Inconvenient Truth
- Read This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein
- Keep an eye on respectable news outlets and recognise and accept that extreme weather events and climate change are inextricably linked
- Find out more about global carbon budgets and what happens if we exceed them by reading Global Carbon Budget 2019
- Read the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's Special Report on what happens at a global warming of just 1.5ºC
Understand the solutions
- Accept there is consensus. 97% of peer-reviewed climate scientists agree climate change is human-caused.
- Watch Al Gore's 2017 documentary An Inconvenient Sequel
- Read Project Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming
- Read How Bad Are Bananas: The Carbon Footprint of Everything by Mike Berners-Lee
- Research zero-waste living. Research plastic-free lifestyles. Research recycling schemes in your area and fossil fuel free sources of power (I use use Bulb)
- Swap to products and companies that share your newfound values
- Weigh your options and cut your own carbon footprint
- Read This is Not a Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
- Read No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference or watch a speech by Greta Thunberg
- Read On Fire by Naomi Klein
- Donate to an environmental not-for-profit
- Plant trees (US: One Tree Planted / UK: Offset Earth)
- Write to your local elected representatives and ask what they're doing to address the climate crisis. Press them. Keep pressing them. Fire them if they don't act.
- Write to your local business leaders and ask what they're doing to address the climate crisis. Press them. Keep pressing them. Boycott their companies if they don't act.
- Refuse to debate the science. The climate crisis is fact and we have no time for liars or self-preservationists.
- Go on a climate march
- Go on climate strike
- Tell others about the climate crisis (and feel free to share this page to help inform them)
I love hearing from people. Introduce yourself via email and say hello – I reply to all.
Social: @admstnr on Twitter