Spotify layoffs, it's just business? Todd Cochrane 1,628 not out! Podcast.ai brings back Steve Jobs? Phase 6 of Podcast Index announced!
Podland supports both transcripts and chapters, if your podcast app doesn’t then grab a new app from podnews.net/newpodcastapps
Show Notes & Links:
- Spotify is cancelling eleven of its original shows. Those cancelled represent less than 2% of Spotify’s more than 500 original podcasts; but it’s likely to result in “less than 5% of Spotify’s staff on original podcasts” being laid off.
- The Gimlet Union and Parcast Union have tweeted a statement about the 38 layoffs across Spotify. They say that some shows lost as much as three-quarters of their audience when going exclusive; and that employees were given as little as an hour to close out their work and leave.
- Steven Goldstein suggests that the podcast business is being “right-sized”
- Spotify has acquired platform safety company Kinzen.
- Spotify’s Podsights ad measurement service has launched in the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy.
- Podcast·ai has made a show where Joe Rogan interviews Steve Jobs.
- Todd Cochrane’s Geek News Central Podcast turns 18 years old this week. The first episode of the show was recorded on Oct 9 2004. It was one of the first shows to launch using the word “podcast”, and is up to episode 1,628.
Three times a week I interview directors, producers, and stars from unscripted television.
The Enthusiasm Project
Deep dives exploring the world of what it means to be an independent creator.
Support the show
Get in touch with our weekly review of all things podcasting!