The Story of Woman
Woman and Gendered Emotions: Pragya Agarwal, Hysterical
In this episode, I talk with Pragya Agarwal about her book, Hysterical: Exploding the myth of gendered emotions.
The experience of emotions is universally human, but our ability to display and act on them is heavily gendered. Pragya examines the impact this has on women - and men - including the role it has played in the subjugation of women throughout history, and how a future where emotions are ungendered might look.
Some topics of discussion include:
- Where the myth of gendered emotions comes from
- Witches… a prime example of emotional norm enforcement
- The psychological toll moderating emotions - and emotional labour - takes
- How these myths undermine women in politics, healthcare, jury trials and more
- Pragya’s vision of an emotional utopia, and how we can get there
Powered by The Trouble Club: use the code STORY25 to get 25% off all Trouble ticket sales and membership payments
Become a Patreon for access to the bonus interview with Pragya - hear her talk about the importance of language and the future of emotional technologies.
Vocal Fries: The podcast about linguistic discrimination
Episodes mentioned in intro:
- Maintenance Baes - how not to be an asshole to fat people
- The Duct Tape of Language - bimbos, vocal fries, and the word “like”
- Bulls, apes, bats and chicken - the history of swearing
Transcription is available here
Buy the book: here
Mentioned in the episode:
- Sorrow and Bliss - Mag Mason
- A Horse by Night - Amina Cain
- The Velveteen Rabbit - Margery Williams
Where to find Pragya: Website | Instagram | Twitter
Join the storytellers:
...and help elevate woman’s story to our main narrative!
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | LinkedIn
Subscribe to the newsletter
- Subscribe, rate and review on iTunes, apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts
- Share with a friend, colleague or family member
- Become a Patreon for access to bonus content and to support the podcast, or buy me a (metaphorical) coffee
- Check out The Story of Woman bookstore filled with 100's of books like this one. Any books purchased through the website links support this podcast AND local bookstores!
Questions? Comments? Feedback? I’d love to hear from you!