Today's guest is Dr. Lisa Miller, whose doing some of the most valuable work on the science behind spirituality in the world right now. That's not to say this is a cold, sterile conversation about the topic. It is anything but that, and Lisa is one of my favorite guests we've ever had. Do yourself a favor and don't miss this essential 40 minutes.
Dr. Lisa Miller is the New York Times bestselling author of The Spiritual Child and a professor in the clinical psychology program at Teachers College, Columbia University. She is the founder and director of the Spirituality Mind Body Institute, the first Ivy League graduate program in spirituality and psychology, and has held over a decade of joint appointments in the department of psychiatry at Columbia medical school.
Her innovative research has been published in more than one hundred empirical, peer-reviewed articles in leading journals, including Cerebral Cortex, The American Journal of Psychiatry, and the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
Her new book is The Awakened Brain, a brilliant work from a brilliant mind.
Listen as we discuss:
- How do scientists define spirituality?
- MRI studies have allowed us to characterize the neurological seat of awareness.
- We are not alone. What does that mean?
- The poison of radical materialism.
- The dangers of "I gotta..." mindset and MRI proof that it's part of the addicted brain.
- We're designed to only see glimpses of the plane of truth.
- Take your intuition and wisdom as hard data.
- The best experiences of our lives are the ones that happen off the plan.
- People that are awakened are more likely to have depression.
- We all have the capacity for awakened awareness.
- Life is playing at a particularly frequency in one big symphony.
- Reprogramming ourselves from "achieving awareness" to "awakened awareness."
- Honor your knowing!
Connect with Dr. Lisa Miller on Twitter @lisamillerphd and on her website, lisamillerphd.com
Some big news. I'm hosting my first sweepstakes. My new book, Scary Smart, is releasing September 30th. Pre-order your copy here, send a screenshot of your proof of pre-order to [email protected], and win a signed copy, dinner with me, or access to an exclusive online talk. Hope to meet you all soon enough!
Don't forget to subscribe to Slo Mo for new episodes every Sunday. Only with your help can we reach One Billion Happy #onebillionhappy.