Today’s guest is Sophie Adelman, who is a member of that exclusive club: a serial entrepreneur.
Her first business, Multiverse, created alternative routes into the world of work via apprenticeships and raised over $130 million, transforming the world of education-technology during the process.
Her new venture, The Garden, brings the experts & academics out of the institutions, enabling you to learn from true experts who have dedicated their lives to studying a subject. Through interactive live talks, their aim is to create a community of inquisitive minds in a world of misinformation and alternative facts.
In this episode we discuss with Sophie:
- Where the name of The Garden comes from and what it does
- How to build a team from scratch and how to hire great people
- Fundraising with the benefit of doing it a second time
- Why she’s doing it all again in creating another startup
- What makes a good co-founder and the crucial aspect of shared values.
- Highlights of The Garden so far
- What are her key takeaways for first-time founders
- Creating peer networks instead of mentors
- Her time at multiverse and what it does
- Her reflections on early hires and learnings for other entrepreneurs
- Taking the MBA route at Stanford and what we can learn from Valley culture
- Taking creative arts more seriously
- The importance of asking ‘Why’
- The talks you can access on The Garden
- If she was 22 in 2022, where Sophie would start her career
- Pass the mic- who would be an entrepreneur Sophie wants to shine a light on?
To apply for The Octopus Group's Entrepreneurship Awards please click on my Twitter here