Supporting the LGBTQIA+ Community with Debbie Victor
- The first Trauma Informed Pelvic Health Certification
- Get Lindsey's 9 page OTs Map to the World of Pelvic Health.
- Meet Lindsey on the OTs for Pelvic Health Facebook Group!
- Check Out More OT Pelvic Health Content here.
- Find Lindsey on IG! @functionalpelvis
What we talked about in today's episode:
- What are some of the challenges that LGBTQIA+ community may be facing, including political/legal barriers, societal concerns, health care trauma, lack of supportive environment, and mental health concerns? How might these challenges affect the care that OT's provide?
- What are some of the strengths of the LGBTQ+ community?
- What are some practical, day to day ways that OT's can create a welcoming space for LGBTQ+ clients?
- Can you share some attitude changes that OT practitioners can be make to be more inclusive of LGBTQ+ clients?
- What is the potential for OT practitioners to make a significant change in the lives of clients?
References we discussed during our convo:
- Trevor Project: 2022 National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health
- Guide to Being an Ally from Trevor Report
- For Transgender Youth, Stigma Is Just One Barrier to Health Care
- Lambda Legal Report
- How you can make the gender question on an application form more inclusive
- Introduction to LGBTQ+ Competency Handbook for Physical Therapy
- AOTA DEIJA toolkit