Why Graded Exposure Is Essential to Trauma Informed Pelvic Health with Lara Desrosiers
Mentioned in this podcast:
- The first ever Trauma-Informed Pelvic Health Certification by Lindsey + Lara
- OT Pioneers: Intro to Pelvic Floor Therapy opens Sept 11-15, 2023
What we talk about in this episode:
- Graded exposure vs graded activity - what is the difference?
- Why Graded Exposure is a critical component in trauma informed care
- How we can give clients new tools to Manage distress in new ways
- Why it's important for graded exposure to be led by the individual
- The importance of survival reactions + our adaptations
- Sensory aspects of our nervous system
- Is it possible to avoid triggering our clients?
- What are key reflective processes in graded exposure?
Meet Lara Desrosiers, my guest and co creator of the first ever Trauma-Informed Pelvic Health Certification
Lara is an Occupational Therapist in Ontario, Canada that has a private practice, Pelvic Resilience, dedicated to helping individuals struggling with pain and pelvic health challenges to get back to living life. Lara has also leveraged her 10+ years of experience working in community mental health to mentor clinicians and teach courses designed to help practitioners from a variety of disciplines and settings to build more psychologically-informed and trauma-informed practices.