Today’s episode is inspired by festive food, but not in an obvious way. We explore what fermentation can teach us about Christmas, learn how to make hoshigaki (dried persimmons) and spelt digestives, and explore the tradition of Stir Up Sunday. This episode is packed with tips for nourishing yourself with food and herbal remedies this winter, along with some gorgeous wintery words from some of our finest writers. With inspiration from Yoshihiro Imai, Nigel Slater, Lucy Brazier, Good Housekeeping Magazine, Danna Faulds, Rebecca Sullivan, Lisa Nieschlag, Lars Wentrup, Gizzi Erskine, Diana Henry, Ella Mills, Rukmini Iyer, and Elizabeth David.
To be in with a chance of winning a signed copy of River Cottage Christmas by Lucy Brazier and a signed copy of my book Calm Christmas, head over to Instagram @bethkempton. The deadline for entries is 4pm UK time on Friday November 19, 2021.
CLICK HERE to join the Winter Writing Sanctuary (my free two week writing course starting November 22, 2021)
And if you want inspiration and guidance for doing what you love in the year ahead, don’t miss our huge annual sale with up to 50% off online courses at Dowhatyouloveforlife.com, Makeartthatsells.com and Makeitindesign.com.
Ingredients list for featured recipe (makes 16 biscuits):
- 120 grams of cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 120 grams of wholemeal spelt flour with a bit extra to dust
- 120 grams of medium oatmeal or 60 grams of puffed quinoa
- 60 grams of soft brown sugar or 40 grams if you want a less sweet biscuit
- 6g salt
- one teaspoon of baking powder
- a few drops of milk
Featured in this episode:
- Monk: Light and shadow on the Philosopher’s Path by Yoshihiro Imai
- Greenfeast (Autumn/Winter) by Nigel Slater
- The Christmas Chronicles by Nigel Slater
- New York Christmas: Recipes and Stories by Lisa Nieschlag and Lars Wentrup
- Nigella Christmas by Nigella Lawson
- Gizzi’s Seasons Eatings by Gizzi Erskine
- From the Oven to the Table by Diana Henry
- Quick & Easy by Ella Mills
- The Green Roasting Tin by Rukmini Iyer
- Elizabeth David’s Christmas by Elizabeth David
- River Cottage Christmas by Lucy Brazier