How I Work
Jake Knapp on having a distraction-free phone for six years
My guest today is Jake Knapp. Jake spent the last 10 years at Google and Google Ventures where he created the Design Sprint, which is a method for building and testing a prototype in five days. He then went on and wrote a book about the process, called Sprint, which was a New York Times bestseller. He recently wrote another book called Make Time, which I mentioned on a previous episode. I personally loved Make Time, which is all about strategies to help make time for doing your most important work and really getting the most out of each day.
I was so excited to have Jake on the show, as I’ve followed his work for several years. What I particularly loved about this chat was how practical Jake is in his strategies and how he applied them during his time at Google. Now I should warn you that this chat somehow ended up starting with a story about a near-death experience - but don’t worry, it gets more upbeat from there!
We cover a whole lot of things, including:
- How a near death experience lead to Jake becoming a self-confessed “time dork"
- Jake’s number one tip for creating a great day
- Why Jake hates the traditional to-do list
- How Jake created a distraction free phone - and how it changed his life
- The importance of boredom
- How to take back control of your calendar
- How Jake managed his calendar at Google Ventures
- How Jake approaches his email
- Being productive versus being purposeful
- Why you need to be prepared to let little bad things happen in the pursuit of using time well
Find out more about Jake at https://jakeknapp.com/ and get a copy of Make Time here. You can also listen to Jake’s awesome podcast, the Product Breakfast Club.
For comprehensive show notes on this episode, go to: https://www.amanthaimber.com/podcast
Get in touch at [email protected]
If you are looking for more tips to improve the way you work, I write a short monthly newsletter that contains three cool things that I have discovered that help me work better, which range from interesting research findings through to gadgets I am loving. You can sign up for that at http://howiwork.co
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.